Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Barefoot Running

I have gotten a few questions about barefoot running.  To be frank, I don't barefoot run.  I use very thin soled shoes such as "boat shoes" and "covered sandals" simply because my roads have a lot of rocks.

I have found that running with minimal distance between pavement and my feet has been very beneficial for my whole body as well as my running form.  However, it is important that you know the basics before you begin a barefoot run.

I actually know a guy who runs barefoot in the snow during winter months.  Well, I am not that hearty but it can be done but I would not recommend it simply because of the cold.  But if you want to know more or even give it a test run for yourself, check out the video below.  By the way, the next road race you are in or watch, check out the folks with thin soles or no shoes at all.  You may be surprised to see how many people have turned to this very natural way of running and walking.



Good luck and remember, warming up and stretching is just as important with this kind of running as with any other form or style of running.  Listen to your body and your feet.  One thing you will notice is that your legs become stronger and you will feel harder muscles.  And you will probably notice less pain and injury.

One last thing...you may find that you start to dislike wear shoes and socks.  Now that will produce a noticeable savings in your wallet because you won't need to buy over priced shoes or socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment